Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Kids Are Alright

I missed out on having 4 children under the age of 4 by one month. Saying that, I did not set out to have 4 under 4 or under 5 as it turned out. I was never one of those women who 'planned' a family. Didn't think I was the maternal type because I could never relate to children, even those of close friends. Truth is I still can't. But I am great with my own 4.

Like most things in my life children just happened to me. I did not 'plan' to have them nor did I do anything to prevent them coming. I'm not overly religious but I do believe in "what's for you won't pass you" and "everything happens for a reason".

Having done my bit in creating another branch on the family tree, I took control of my reproduction habits and got the hubby to have the 'snip' and very successful it was too! (The beauty of the snip is that I didn't feel a thing). We have 2 girls and 2 boys - in that order - so we could not have planned it better if we tried. The girls are great pals and would be lost without each other. The boys are close in age too and look out for each other. The eldest boy was diagnosed with autism* a year ago (next week to the day). His wee brother is/will be the best thing to ever happen to him. He is a persistent little bugger and goes on and on and on and on until he gets the desired response from his autistic sibling.

Since this time last year autism has pretty much taken up my spare time. Early Intervention sessions, parent support group meetings, special needs discussion forums, Home Tuition, pre-school support workers, SNA's, reading autism-related books and websites and doing special needs courses. It's coming to the stage where I wonder what my life was like before autism joined our family. "Aren't you lucky he has autism" my hubby said to me one night, while I had taken over the computer yet again to browse the rollercoaster, "cos what else would you do with your time in the evenings?" I was a bit shocked but he was absolutely right. It had become an obsession. He will be really pleased when he finds out I now have my own blog!

And that's where the story starts..I don't yet know the direction this is going to take. Whether it will be a diary of events, a lifestory or just snippets of stuff (probably autism related) - only time will tell. I have been inspired by Hammie, Nick & Cathal's Mammy who each have terrific blogs, when I have this whole thing sussed I will put their blogs as links to share with you. This will be slow to take off until I get broadband, which I'm hoping will happen next week.


*autism - it no longer gets a capial 'A' in our house as it is part of our family and doesn't deserve to stick out like a sore thumb!

No comments: