Sunday, August 24, 2008

Home


What a relaxing week we've just had. Took a trip down Waterford way to Clonea Strand Golf & Leisure in Dungarvan. Had a fab spacious house on the grounds of hotel and the beauty of it was if you didn't want to venture too far there was loads to occupy you there. Playground on site, use of the pool at no extra charge (spent a lot of time there) some nightly entertainment in bar, playloft and bowling at reduced rates in sister hotel few minutes drive away. The kids made a friend from the house next door and as it turns out that family next door had a boy same age as Babs and he too has autism. It was great to compare notes and see the two boys interact. We had more in common than that..Trish is originally from round our neck of the woods and lived beside one of my best friends husband..they have same colour and breed of dog as us, bought with the same intention..for our autistic child. They were a lovely family and we will keep in touch, which is a first for us as we normally keep to ourselves on hols.


Of course we did venture away on day trips and there is loads to go and see. As we had a few good days we took in Fota Wildlife Park, Youghal (beautiful beach), had a trip on the Waterford Suir Railway which Babs loved, he had his head stuck to the window for the vibration.. and our last day finished up with the highly recommended Copper Coast Mini Pet Farm-loads of diggers tractors to ride on and a huge sandpit as well as some lovely animals. Maybe my kids are still easily pleased but it really was an enjoyable, stress-free holiday and the girls didn't want to go back home.

Since coming home I have noticed a change in Babs..he seems more content. Maybe he is just glad to be home and back to routine cos he was overly happy today and nothing was putting him in a bad mood. All day he was trying to be funny and succeeding. If he did something naughty I would say "Stop that or I am going to get mad" and he would say "I don't want Mammy mad I want Mammy smiling, smiling Mammy makes me happy", what do you say to that? But it is good to be home.

8 comments:

Lisamaree said...

That sounds like heaven Sesame. Glad you found a holiday that worked. And what a small world that you made a similar friend!
xx

Sesame said...

It really was Hammie..don't know why we go out of Ireland..nice not worrying about boats or planes to catch..lot to be said for the freedom of just driving. Hearty Congrats on the 10k hits..Ireland's No. 1 blog Award should have your name on it..good on you.

Cathal's Mammy said...

Well isn't Babs far too cute. Seems like he knows what buttons to press...
I was on that little train just last Thursday with Cathal, his grandad D & B, lots of fun!!

Welcome home

Sesame said...

He has me sussed that's for sure.. We missed you by a day..we did the train on friday then headed to the pet farm..the train journey was just perfect..it's not too long and not too short. Will go back next year.

Nick McGivney said...

I think I enjoyed your mini-getaway more than I've enjoyed some of my own!

Cathal's Mammy said...

I think that train journey will be getting longer. My Dad (a Waterford resident) was telling me that they are trying to get it extended the whole way into the city, so it might be a little longer next year!!! Choo choo

Sesame said...

Nick..hope I'm not bigging it up too much but it definitely suited us..anything was gonna be a huge improvement on Blackpool.

Cathal's Mammy maybe another year from now and we might just be able to handle a longer journey..

jazzygal said...

I'm SO glad you enjoyed Clonea Strand and Gold Coast Sesame! I'm so wary of recommending it as decor of hotels is so dated (1 friend with Autistic child hated it!)

it is definitely our Slice of Heaven. We've been going since our guy was one and a half! Staff are wonderful...they've seen it all with us believe me! They really look after us, which is why we keep going back. Food is great too

We might see you there yet! sounds like we just missed you this time!